Flossing: so, what’s your excuse?
As the end of January approaches, we are wondering did you take our “Smile Resolution Challenge”? Â Did you brush twice a day for two minutes, and perhaps even more importantly, did you floss? Do you floss, every day?
In our long term commitment to you, we continue to gently encourage and remind patients of this healthy ritual at every opportunity.
But, whilst we’re on the topic, we’d like to say that while we know dental floss is amazing, please, just stick to what it does best, namely keeping your gums and teeth healthy, and forget about these other (quite frankly absurd) excuses.*
- Dental floss really isn’t the perfect clothes line for small undergarments.
- To our fishermen friends, stick with your regular, robust fishing line.
- Rope really is a better, safer and stronger alternative to use when hanging pictures.
- Yes, it can be good for sewing with, but thread is cheaper.
- Cleaning awkward dust traps around the house? No. Just use it to clean the awkward food trapped between your teeth.
- Dental Floss can indeed be a great alternative to kitchen twine; we’ll maybe let you off with this one. For emergencies only please.
- Yes, it is great for cutting cheese. Admittedly we do in fact do this one ourselves.
So now we’ve cleared up some of these (albeit great) excuses, please just use dental floss for its intended purpose:
- to remove plaque and food debris from between your teeth.
- to prevent cavities between your teeth.
- to keep your breath fresh.
If you’re not sure what to do, just ask your dentist or Hygienist at your next visit (we’ll also post A-how to tutorial in the next few days). And if your gums bleed, it’s not necessarily a sign that you’re doing it incorrectly. It’s a sign you need to be doing it more!
The Hygiene Police at Hampshire Dentists.
Copyright @ Hampshire Dentists 2016. Not for reproduction. Photo credit, with thanks to Pixabay
* Creative license
Categories: About The Practice